Tuesday 11 June 2013

Bringing sexy back



I sometimes find myself complaining about things I could easily give advice on to other people. Isn't it funny how easily you can give advice but then not listen to it yourself? For example: feeling fat. When I feel fat, I feel far from sexy.  If any of my friends were to come to me complaining about feeling fat, or not feeling sexy anymore, here are some things I'd tell them. (Note to self.)
  1. Get fit. Probably my favorite thing ever. But I've found it really difficult to stick a normal routine in this country - something about the weather but I won't go into that. I admit I'm not the best gym member. Running on a treadmill bores me t o  d e a t h. It's not something I could stick to daily. Classes on the other hand, are more my cup of tea. I like the feeling of community in classes. You get to know the people in there (especially if they're fairly small classes like mine) and you can in a way, hold each other accountable to coming and doing better. Since I'm competitive, I tend to do well with others around when it comes to pushing myself. So, if you're having a hard time keeping fit, here are some suggestions besides joining classes at the gym (my favorites are spin and body pump by the way). Run. Or jog if you're a newbie. Set yourself an attainable goal. If you've never run a 5k/10k before, sign up for one in the next few months. Just do it. Then, google training guides & create one for yourself. Then stick to it. I can bet that eventually you're going to end up really enjoying the way you feel when you run, and the feeling after, and you're going to forget that your whole plan was to get fit all together.  If you're a runner now or you've run before but have said that you could never do a half marathon/full marathon, guess what? You can! So sign up for one. But give yourself plenty of time to train. If you're going for a half, I'd say 2-3 months is perfect training time, and for a full, anywhere from 6-8 months should do. If you get bored on runs, or have a hard time on the longer ones, find a running buddy! Or join a running club! I joined a club when I trained for my marathon & don't regret it for a single second. Not only did I enjoy the long runs much more, but I made some really great friends along the way! And don't forget to make time for stretching. My favorite time is just before bed stretched out on a yoga mat, it's so relaxing! Alternately, take a few yoga classes to not only treat your muscles well but to give yourself a space to clear your mind a little too. Once you start to get more fit, you will find that your whole attitude has changed for the better...and your clothes will certainly fit better too!
    1. This section also includes those times you're invited out for a drink or a coffee with your friends/family. Instead of catching up while over-indulging in high caloric drinks, ask your friends if they'd like to catch up over a walk or a hike (in this country those mean the same thing, haha).  Maybe a bike ride? A game of tennis/squash, etc. I've found that some of my best listening and heart-spilling moments have happened on a walk or bike ride with someone. There's something about those endorphins that make you a much better listener and opens your mind.
  2. Eat breakfast - preferably, a healthy one! I read somewhere that the earlier you eat breakfast in the mornings, the faster your body starts metabolizing for the day. My favorite breakfasts (when I make time to make them - see I need to listen to myself!) include: Fresh fruit smoothies. French toast with berries. Cereal with berries. Oatmeal. Toast with peanut butter & milk {sometimes chocolate milk, I admit}. For the times I haven't given myself a lot of time to eat breakfast, I'll sometimes take a breakfast bar like Clif or similar, or breakfast crackers with either coffee or milk. Now, when I make smoothies, I usually use almond milk and/or orange juice {or any juice}, whatever berries I have in the fridge (frozen work just as well!), usually a banana, if I have some spinach, I'll add a few leaves, a few ice cubes & hit blend for pure goodness. Yum, yum. 
  3. Drink lots of water. Like, lots. More than the called for 8 oz per day. Make it your new goal to aim for about 1.5-2 liters a day. And for those moments you're feeling peckish, you're probably just thirsty, so drink some water. If you're reading this in the UK and you love tea, opt out on the sugar - especially if you have more than one cuppa a day. That 'one sugar' really adds up! 
  4. Eat healthier. Or make the necessary changes - you'll know what needs to be eliminated from your diet. Sugar, crisps, hot cocoa powder in your coffee (guilty again!!), cakes, croissants, muffins, etc. Trust yourself to be the judge of the changes you need to make. And you don't have to class this section as a "going on a diet." I've never really believed in diets, but I do believe in making changes and challenging yourself to at least try to keep those things out of your diet. At least for a certain number of days (30-90 is a good start) and by then you should feel much better & realize that you don't actually need those foods anymore! Also, just to state the obvious, add/replace with more fruits and veggies. 
  5. Buy some new lingerie. Or a new nailpolish, or a new dress, whatever might inspire you to look and feel happy in front of the mirror. After I've done numbers 1-4, a new bra or new pair of underwear make me feel a lot sexier. Sometimes even something as small as a new nail polish will change the way I'm feeling, but obviously this is just short-term, so that's why numbers 1-4 are really important first!
  6. Get a new haircut. I always feel good after a fresh haircut & I'll even admit to checking myself out in the mirror every now and again after. And it always feels good when people notice and compliment your new haircut, too!
I hope this helps a little for anyone out there feeling un-sexy or just plain unmotivated! Do you have any more helpful tips?
Cheers!

Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Nice to know I'm not alone in my efforts to make healthier choices and then sometimes struggling to stick with it. I know we talked about half marathons and I definitely think I am going to sign up for my first one when I'm in Germany this next year. A couple girls in my program want to do one so it will be nice to have a group. I've started running more and just got my roommate to start going with, and though I'm only at maybe 30 minute runs right now, I do them often and think I can start pushing myself now. I'll let you know how I'm progressing :) Great tips by the way!

    ReplyDelete